Office of Vocations records
Scope and Contents
This collection contains applications and other biographical information regarding ex-seminarians for the Diocese of Charleston.
- Created: 1967-2010
- Other: Date acquired: 10/31/2012
- Catholic Church. Diocese of Charleston (S.C.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Access is restricted; consult repository for details.
Conditions Governing Use
The Diocese of Charleston makes no representation that it is the owner of any copyright or other literary property in the materials contained in its archives. In providing access to or permitting the reproduction of any such materials, the Diocese of Charleston does not assume any responsibility for determining the nature of any rights, ownership or interest therein; nor for obtaining the appropriate permissions to publish or use; nor for determining the nature of any liabilities (for defamation and invasion of privacy) that may arise from any publication or use. This rests entirely with the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
The Office of Vocations for the Diocese of Charleston assists men and women in discerning a spiritual calling and helps to determine if he or she wishes to follow a religious life.
The Office of Vocations recommends attending seminary as another stage of discernment for men. In this phase, the seminarian attends classes in Catholic theology, scripture, church history, pastoral counseling, and other subjects. The Diocese of Charleston evaluates applications and acts as a sponsor to those wishing to attend seminary. If the seminarian decides not to follow the path to ordination, then he is able to terminate his position as an agent of the diocese.
Note written by
5.00 Linear Feet (4 record cartons)
Language of Materials
Administrative records for the Office of Vocations at the Diocese of Charleston.
Source of Acquisition
Received from the Office of Vocations in October 2012.
Method of Acquisition
Accruals and Additions
Additional accruals expected.
Processed by Melissa Bronheim, October 2012.
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ex-seminarians -- South Carolina Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Slides (photographs) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Vocation (in religious orders, congregations, etc.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Inventory of the Office of Vocations records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the Catholic Diocese of Charleston Archives Repository
114 Broad Street
Charleston SC 29401 US