Skip to main content

Charleston Home for Children records

Identifier: A-02-1012

Scope and Contents

The collection contains administrative records, financial records, and children's records for the Charleston Home for Children. Administrative records include board of commissioners meeting minutes, Charleston Home for Children license applications, and administrative general correspondence. Financial records contain donation and estate settlement correspondences, invoices, and tax documents. The children's records include child placement applications, as well as information regarding the children's daily activities or special events. Also included are welfare agency policies and procedures, with city and state child care facility regulations; newspaper articles; and photographs of children in and outside the home.


  • Created: 1958-1990


Conditions Governing Access

Access is restricted; consult repository for details.

Conditions Governing Use

The Diocese of Charleston makes no representation that it is the owner of any copyright or other literary property in the materials contained in its archives. In providing access to or permitting the reproduction of any such materials, the Diocese of Charleston does not assume any responsibility for determining the nature of any rights, ownership or interest therein; nor for obtaining the appropriate permissions to publish or use; nor for determining the nature of any liabilities (for defamation and invasion of privacy) that may arise from any publication or use. This rests entirely with the researcher.

Biographical or Historical Information

The Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy (OLM's), a religious women's order, began caring for orphans in 1830, two months after they established their community in Charleston, South Carolina. In 1841, Bishop John England gave the sisters land and built a convent near the corner of Logan and Queen Streets. When they took possession of the house, their household included seventy-five orphans, all of whom were girls. In 1901, the orphanage changed its name to the City Orphan Asylum, and became a home for boys and girls, later changing its name to the City Orphan Home. In 1965, due to financial instability, the sisters transferred responsibility for the children's home to the Diocese of Charleston. Under the direction of Catholic Charities, the OLM's designated four sisters to work at the children's home with funding provided by the City and County of Charleston, the Diocese of Charleston, endowments, and private contributions. The City Orphan Home, which was located at 120 Queen Street, closed and a new home for children was built in 1966. The new home, located at 1662 Ingram Road, could accommodate thirty-two children, sixteen boys and sixteen girls, ranging from ages six through fifteen or grades first through eighth. The OLM sisters administered the home until its closing in August of 1990.

Note written by


1.00 linear_foot (2 document boxes, 1 slim box)

Language of Materials



Administrative records, financial records, and children’s records for the Charleston Home for Children.

Source of Acquisition

Received from Sister Miriam Bealle, OLM.

Processing Information

Processed by Melissa Bronheim, October 2011

Inventory of the Charleston Home for Children records
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note

Repository Details

Part of the Catholic Diocese of Charleston Archives Repository

114 Broad Street
Carriage House
Charleston SC 29401 US