Bishop John Russell coat of arms
Scope and Contents
This collection contains a ceramic plaque, bearing Bishop John J. Russell's coat of arms.
- Created: circa 1950s
- Other: Date acquired: 10/21/2002
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The Diocese of Charleston makes no representation that it is the owner of any copyright or other literary property in the materials contained in its archives. In providing access to or permitting the reproduction of any such materials, the Diocese of Charleston does not assume any responsibility for determining the nature of any rights, ownership or interest therein; nor for obtaining the appropriate permissions to publish or use; nor for determining the nature of any liabilities (for defamation and invasion of privacy) that may arise from any publication or use. This rests entirely with the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
John Joyce Russell, a Roman Catholic bishop, was born in Baltimore, Maryland, to John Russell and Mary Joyce Russell in 1897.
John Russell attended Calvert Hall and Loyola High Schools. He also studied at St. Charles College in Maryland. In 1919, he earned a Master of Arts degree from St. Mary's Seminary in Baltimore, and in 1923 a Doctor of Sacred Theology degree from the Pontifical Urbaniana University in Rome. In 1923, Russell’s uncle, William T. Russell, fifth bishop of Charleston, ordained him into the priesthood.
Appointed a priest in the Archdiocese of Baltimore, Russell served at St. Martin Church from 1923-1937. During that period, he founded the Catholic Evidence Guild, served as director of Catholic Big Brothers, acted as director of the Junior Holy Name society, and served as a tribunal judge for the archdiocese. In 1937, Russell became pastor of St. Ursula Parish and served until 1946. From 1946-1950, Russell served as pastor of St. Patrick Catholic Church in Washington, D.C., director of Catholic Charities, and pastor of the Church of the Nativity.
In January of 1950, Pope Pius XII appointed Russell seventh bishop of Charleston. He received his Episcopal consecration the following March from Archbishop Amleto Giovanni Cicognani, with Archbishop Patrick O'Boyle and Bishop John Michael McNamara serving as co-consecrators. Bishop John Russell adopted the same coat of arms as his uncle, Bishop William T. Russell.
In 1958, Russell became bishop of Richmond and left South Carolina. He retired as bishop of Richmond in 1973. Russell died in 1993 at the age of 95.
Note written by
Language of Materials
Ceramic plaque of Bishop John Russell's coat of arms.
Source of Acquisition
Found in the collection.
Processed by Melissa Bronheim, July 2014.
- Coats of arms Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Heraldry, Sacred Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Russell, John J., Bishop of Richmond, 1897-1993
- Inventory of the Bishop John Russell coat of arms
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the Catholic Diocese of Charleston Archives Repository
114 Broad Street
Charleston SC 29401 US