Cathedral of St. John the Baptist and St. Finbar illustration
Scope and Contents
From Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, two black and white images of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist and St. Finbar, Charleston, South Carolina, as it appeared after the fire of 1861. The images depict the tower, side aisle, and rear view of the cathedral.
- Created: 1862
- Frank Leslie's illustrated newspaper (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The Diocese of Charleston makes no representation that it is the owner of any copyright or other literary property in the materials contained in its archives. In providing access to or permitting the reproduction of any such materials, the Diocese of Charleston does not assume any responsibility for determining the nature of any rights, ownership or interest therein; nor for obtaining the appropriate permissions to publish or use; nor for determining the nature of any liabilities (for defamation and invasion of privacy) that may arise from any publication or use. This rests entirely with the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist and St. Finbar was built in Charleston, South Carolina, in 1854.
The Bishop of Charleston, Ignatius Reynolds, raised money for construction through the Cathedral Building Fund. The cornerstone was laid in 1850 near the corner of Broad and Friend (presently Legare) streets.
Architect Patrick Keely was hired to construct the new cathedral. He intended the building to be 156 feet long, 72 feet wide, 54 feet high and made out of Connecticut sandstone. The initial cost estimate was $41,000; however, the final amount of the cathedral was $103,600.
In December of 1861, a fire engulfed a large portion of the peninsula. Among the destruction was the Cathedral of St. John and St. Finbar.
Note written by
0.10 linear_foot (1 oversize folder)
Language of Materials
Images of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist and St. Finbar, Charleston, South Carolina, as it appeared after the fire of 1861.
Processed by Melissa Bronheim, October 2013.
- Inventory of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist and St. Finbar illustration
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the Catholic Diocese of Charleston Archives Repository
114 Broad Street
Charleston SC 29401 US