Skip to main content

Bishop England High School plaque

Identifier: O-9042

Scope and Contents

This collection contains a plaque given to Bishop England High School in the 1980s.  The plaque shows an image of the class of 1918 and lists the students' names.


  • Created: 1980s

Conditions Governing Access

Open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

The Diocese of Charleston makes no representation that it is the owner of any copyright or other literary property in the materials contained in its archives. In providing access to or permitting the reproduction of any such materials, the Diocese of Charleston does not assume any responsibility for determining the nature of any rights, ownership or interest therein; nor for obtaining the appropriate permissions to publish or use; nor for determining the nature of any liabilities (for defamation and invasion of privacy) that may arise from any publication or use. This rests entirely with the researcher.

Biographical or Historical Information

Bishop England High School (BEHS), a Catholic high school, was founded in 1915 by Reverend Joseph O'Brien and Reverend J.J. May with the approval of Henry N. Northrop, bishop of Charleston.  Classes were conducted in the Cathedral school on Queen Street for one year until Mrs. Thomas F. Ryan of New York, New York, donated property to the diocese. The high school was transferred to a temporary building at 203 Calhoun Street, while funds donated by Catholics of Charleston were raised to construct a new high school building.  On October 12, 1921, the cornerstone of the new BEHS building was laid by William T. Russell, fifth bishop of Charleston.

Note written by


1.00 item

Language of Materials



A plaque given to Bishop England High School in the 1980s.

Source of Acquisition

Found in collection.

Processing Information

Processed by Melissa Bronheim, August 2014.

Inventory of the Bishop England High School plaque
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note

Repository Details

Part of the Catholic Diocese of Charleston Archives Repository

114 Broad Street
Carriage House
Charleston SC 29401 US