St. Patrick School and Immaculate Conception School student records
Scope and Contents
This collection includes student records from St. Peter, St. Patrick, and Immaculate Conception Schools. The St. Peter School records were previously integrated into the Immaculate Conception School records when St. Peter School closed in September 1936. Materials include St. Patrick Parochial School registers; St. Patrick student and enrollment records; Immaculate Conception School administrative records; and Immaculate Conception grammar and high school student records. The administrative records include school board minutes; correspondence; board member lists; scholastic monthly reports, transfer records; and birth and vaccination records. Some of the student records include small photographs. This collection consists of two series: St. Patrick and Immaculate Conception School. St. Patrick School has two sub-series entitled “Student Records” because there are two groups of records, both filed alphabetically by last name.
- Created: 1903-1972
- Other: Majority of material found in 1960-1968
- Other: Date acquired: 01/11/2010
- St. Patrick Catholic Church (Charleston, S.C.) (Organization)
- Immaculate Conception School (Charleston, S.C.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Access is restricted; consult repository for detail.
Conditions Governing Use
The Diocese of Charleston makes no representation that it is the owner of any copyright or other literary property in the materials contained in its archives. In providing access to or permitting the reproduction of any such materials, the Diocese of Charleston does not assume any responsibility for determining the nature of any rights, ownership or interest therein; nor for obtaining the appropriate permissions to publish or use; nor for determining the nature of any liabilities (for defamation and invasion of privacy) that may arise from any publication or use. This rests entirely with the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Founded in 1837 by Bishop John England, St. Patrick Parish was originally intended to serve the Irish Catholics north of Calhoun Street, who had previously attended masses in the home of Mr. P. B. Bouton on King Street. Because of damage sustained during the Civil War to the original wood frame structure, construction began on a new building in 1886 on the southwest corner of St. Philip and Radcliffe. In 1920 the "Chapel School" at St. Patrick Parish, which had been operating unofficially for some time, had 88 students and operated in combination with Sacred Heart and St. Patrick's Parishes. By 1929, Father Joseph O'Brien formally established St. Patrick School and it was dedicated by Bishop Walsh. After a generous donation by Msgr. Charles D. Wood’s family in 1934, Father O’Brien changed the name of the school to the Charles D. Wood Memorial School. Over the course of the latter half of the twentieth century more and more of the original parishioners moved out of downtown Charleston. Due to the demographic changes in the neighborhood during the 1960s and the merger of St. Peter and St. Patrick in 1967, St. Patrick became a predominantly African American parish and remains so today. The Sister's of Our Lady of Mercy operated St. Patrick's School from 1903 until its close in 1964 at which point it was merged with Immaculate Conception School.
St. Peter's Parish was instituted by Bishop Patrick Lynch as a continuation of the work with the Black Catholics of Charleston by Bishop England. A school for religious and literary instruction was instituted at the parish by Fr. Folchi and was placed under the supervision of the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy in 1902. In 1917, the Oblate Sisters of Providence, at the invitation of Bishop William T. Russell, began their supervision of the school to improve the educational standards. In 1937, St. Peter’s School merged with Immaculate Conception School.
Immaculate Conception School was founded in 1903 with lessons taught by Father McElroy in his rectory. Shortly thereafter, the Ursuline Sisters took over instruction at the school, located in a wooden frame building adjacent to the church building on Shepherd and Coming Streets. In 1906, the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy took over instruction from the Ursulines since enrollment had surpassed the numbers which the Ursulines were able to teach. In 1917 the Oblate Sisters of Providence began to instruct students alongside the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy until the school's closure in 1967. In 1927, Immaculate Conception School moved into a new building at 200 Coming Street and operated independently of Immaculate Conception Parish. Immaculate Conception School was closed in 1967 because of financial and facility issues, as well as the initiative to integrate the Diocese of Charleston under the administration of Bishop Ernest L. Unterkoefler. The grammar school remained open until circa 1972 and the high school was integrated with Bishop England High School in 1968.
Note written by
13.75 Linear Feet (10 record cartons, 2 ledgers)
Language of Materials
School records and administrative records from St. Peter, St. Patrick, and Immaculate Conception Schools.
Materials are arranged chronologically or alphabetically at the folder and item level when applicable. Except for the ICS administrative records, original order was maintained.
Source of Acquisition
Received from Father Henry Kulah in January 2010.
Processed by Jennifer E. Neal.
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- African American schools Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Birth certificates Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Bylaws (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Catholic schools Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lists (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Registers (lists) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- School records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Inventory of the St. Patrick School and Immaculate Conception School student records
- Jennifer E. Neal
- Description rules
- Other Unmapped
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Catholic Diocese of Charleston Archives Repository
114 Broad Street
Charleston SC 29401 US