Pre-Diocesan and Episcopal records
Scope and Contents
Pre-Diocesan and Episcopal Records (1727-1951) includes official and personal correspondence (mostly incoming) of the bishops and priests of the Diocese of Charleston. All items are arranged chronologically, with no consideration for the items creator or provenance. Finding aids include name/correspondent index cards and a calendar inventory. The correspondent index cards cross-reference all the items in the collection by the name of the correspondent (writers and recipients). They are currently only available for on-site viewing. The calendar is a chronological, item-level inventory of all items in the earliest collection. It generally provides the date, names of the correspondents, and the location in which the letter was written. The calendar is available via downloadable PDF scans from the Archives website.
- Created: 1727-1951
- Other: Date acquired: 00/00/1960
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The Diocese of Charleston makes no representation that it is the owner of any copyright or other literary property in the materials contained in its archives. In providing access to or permitting the reproduction of any such materials, the Diocese of Charleston does not assume any responsibility for determining the nature of any rights, ownership or interest therein; nor for obtaining the appropriate permissions to publish or use; nor for determining the nature of any liabilities (for defamation and invasion of privacy) that may arise from any publication or use. This rests entirely with the researcher.
54.00 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Administrative and personal correspondence of the Diocese of Charleston bishops and priests.
All items arranged chronologically.
- Bishops -- South Carolina -- Charleston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- England, John, 1786-1842
- Lynch, Ellen
- Lynch, Patrick Niesen, 1817-1882
- Northrop, Henry, Bishop of Charleston, 1842-1916
- Reynolds, Ignatius A., 1798-1855
- Russell, William T. (William Thomas), 1863-1927
- Wallace, J. (James), -1851
- Walsh, Emmet M. (Emmet Michael), 1892-1968
- Inventory of the Pre-Diocesan and Episcopal records
- Brian P. Fahey
- Description rules
- Other Unmapped
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Catholic Diocese of Charleston Archives Repository
114 Broad Street
Charleston SC 29401 US