Christ the King and Holy Trinity Closed School records
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of closed school records from Holy Trinity Catholic School in Orangeburg, South Carolina. Materials include student and employee records from Christ the King School and Holy Trinity Catholic School. The records were housed in two, four drawer file cabinets at the parish hall. The first file cabinet contained earlier records of the school, mostly pre-dating the parish merger in 1967; however, there were some early Holy Trinity Catholic School student records among these records. The second file cabinet contained student records, transfer student records, and employee records. The student records were created after the parish merger in 1967 when the school was moved and renamed Holy Trinity Catholic School. The transfer students were grouped according to grade, pre-3 to 4th grade. The employee records consist of past teacher contracts, teacher reports, and three groups of employee files arranged alphabetically and chronologically, the earliest records first. The student records and employee records contain some small photographs for identification purposes. Arrangement of this collection is based on original order and includes four series; Christ the King, Holy Trinity, Transfer Students, and Personnel. Holy Trinity Catholic School closed c. June 1998.
- Created: 1945-1998
- Other: Date acquired: 11/22/2010
- Holy Trinity Parish (Orangeburg, S.C.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Access is restricted; consult repository for details.
Conditions Governing Use
The Diocese of Charleston makes no representation that it is the owner of any copyright or other literary property in the materials contained in its archives. In providing access to or permitting the reproduction of any such materials, the Diocese of Charleston does not assume any responsibility for determining the nature of any rights, ownership or interest therein; nor for obtaining the appropriate permissions to publish or use; nor for determining the nature of any liabilities (for defamation and invasion of privacy) that may arise from any publication or use. This rests entirely with the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
In 1939, the Redemptorist priests from the Province of Baltimore established a special apostolate to the African American Community in Orangeburg with Fr. Thomas Gilhooley, C.SS.R. Father Gilhooley rendted a house to serve as a temporary mission and named it "Christ the King." Prior to that, African Americans attended mass at Holy Trinity. In 1940 a combination church, school and convent was constructed for the Black Community. On 17 December, four days before the building was opened for use, it was destroyed by fire. After investigation, the fire was thought to be caused by racially motivated arson. Father Gilhooley later selected a new site where Christ the King mission church and school were constricted and blessed by Bishop Emmet J. Walsh on 18 October 1942. In 1943 the Obloate Sisters of Providence arrived to staff the only Catholic school in the county. By 1938, growth and planned expantion exceeded the facilities. Land next door to the school was purchased to alleviate the growth.
In light of the struggle for civil rights in Orangeburg and the U.S., and in response to concerns about the dual system of separatism and segregation in the Catholic Church in Orangeburg, Bishop Urnest L. Unterkoefler decided to merge Christ the King and Holy Trinity parishes in August 1967. Christ the King School was moved into Holy Trinity Catechetical Center and was renamed Holy Trinity School. In June 1997, Bishop Thompson asked Father Polewczak at Holy Trinity Parish to conduct a study to determine the viability of the school and present to him a recommendation for its future. In April 1998 the school was closed because it could no longer meet the four criteria established by the diocese for all its schools in South Carolina. The school's historical importance and its impact on the community were recognized by Father Polewczak, who described the decision to close as dfficult and painful.
Note written by Jennifer E. Neal
16.50 Linear Feet (13 boxes)
Language of Materials
Christ the King School and Holy Trinity Catholic School student and employee records.
Materials are arranged alphabetically by series. Original order, folders, and labels were maintained.
Christ the King School was moved and renamed Holy Trinity Catholic School when Christ the King and Holy Trinity parishes merged in August 1967. All Christ the King School records were moved to Holy Trinity parish at this time. Holy Trinity Catholic School closed in circa 1999 and all school records were retained at the parish until transfer to the Archives in November 2010.
Source of Acquisition
Received from Rev. Michael Okere in November 2010.
Method of Acquisition
Processed by Jennifer E. Neal in 2010.
- African American Catholics Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African American schools Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Catholic schools -- South Carolina Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Church schools -- South Carolina -- Orangeburg Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Contracts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- School records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Inventory of the Christ the King and Holy Trinity Closed School records
- Jennifer E. Neal
- Description rules
- Other Unmapped
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Catholic Diocese of Charleston Archives Repository
114 Broad Street
Charleston SC 29401 US