Monsignor Louis Sterker scrapbook
Scope and Contents
This collection contains a scrapbook compiled by Monsignor Louis Sterker of the Cathedral School in Charleston, South Carolina. It also includes ephemera documenting the ordination of Louis Sterker and Roy Aiken.
- Created: 1929-1970, 1996
- Other: Date acquired: 10/23/2014
- Sterker, Louis F., 1921-1999 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The Diocese of Charleston makes no representation that it is the owner of any copyright or other literary property in the materials contained in its archives. In providing access to or permitting the reproduction of any such materials, the Diocese of Charleston does not assume any responsibility for determining the nature of any rights, ownership or interest therein; nor for obtaining the appropriate permissions to publish or use; nor for determining the nature of any liabilities (for defamation and invasion of privacy) that may arise from any publication or use. This rests entirely with the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Monsignor Louis Sterker
Louis Francis Sterker, a Roman Catholic priest, was born in Bronx, New York, to William C. Sterker and Wilma Weber Sterker in 1920. He attended St. Francis DeSales School and Power Memorial Academy in New York City. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree from St. Charles College in Catonsville, Maryland, and a Bachelor of Sacred Theology degree from St. Mary Seminary in Baltimore, Maryland. Sterker was ordained a priest in 1946 by Bishop Emmet Walsh of the Diocese of Charleston.
Sterker’s pastoral assignments included associate pastor of St. Joseph, Charleston (1946), associate pastor, administrator, and rector of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist (1946-1970), pastor of St. Anthony, Florence (1970-1975), Our Lady of Peace, North Augusta (1975-1981), St. Joseph, Columbia (1981-1987), Our Lady of the Hills, Columbia (1987-1990), and St. Joseph, Charleston (1990-1992).
In 1962, Sterker was appointed a papal chamberlain by Pope John XXXIII and elevated to monsignor. Sterker also served as the diocesan vicar general from 1990 until his retirement in 1992. Monsignor Sterker died in 1999.
The Cathedral School
On January 31, 1887, the Cathedral Parochial School for Boys opened with eighty students and two teachers. It was located in a building at the rear of the pro-cathedral.
Six other Catholic schools also opened on the Charleston peninsula in 1887; St. Mary’s Free School for Girls, St. Patrick’s Parish School, St. Joseph’s Parish School, St. Mary’s Parish School, Our Lady of Mercy Academy, and St. Peter’s Parish School. These were followed by Immaculate Conception School in 1903, Bishop England High School in 1915, and Sacred Heart Parish School in 1924.
By 1990, all but the Cathedral School, Sacred Heart Catholic School, and Bishop England High School had closed. In 1991, the Cathedral School and Sacred Heart merged into the Charleston Catholic School, which remains the only parochial school on the peninsula.
Note written by
1.20 Linear Feet (1 oversize box)
Language of Materials
A Cathedral School scrapbook compiled by Monsignor Louis Sterker.
1. Cathedral School scrapbook 2. Louis Sterker and Roy Aiken
Source of Acquisition
Received from Monsignor Richard Harris in October 2014.
Method of Acquisition
Found in the chancery building and transferred to the archives by Monsignor Richard Harris.
Processed by Melissa Mabry, August 2016.
- Catholic schools -- South Carolina -- Charleston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Priests -- South Carolina Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Programs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Inventory of the Monsignor Louis Sterker scrapbook
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the Catholic Diocese of Charleston Archives Repository
114 Broad Street
Charleston SC 29401 US