Skip to main content

Sacred Heart School records

Identifier: A-01-1047

Scope and Contents

This collection contains administrative records of the Sacred Heart School in Charleston, South Carolina.  Records include correspondence, enrollment lists, teacher contracts, parent teacher organization records, and school board records.


  • Created: 1959-1990, undated
  • Other: Date acquired: 09/01/2009


Conditions Governing Access

Access is restricted; consult repository for details.

Conditions Governing Use

The Diocese of Charleston makes no representation that it is the owner of any copyright or other literary property in the materials contained in its archives. In providing access to or permitting the reproduction of any such materials, the Diocese of Charleston does not assume any responsibility for determining the nature of any rights, ownership or interest therein; nor for obtaining the appropriate permissions to publish or use; nor for determining the nature of any liabilities (for defamation and invasion of privacy) that may arise from any publication or use. This rests entirely with the researcher.

Biographical or Historical Information

Sacred Heart School, a Catholic elementary school located in Charleston, South Carolina, operated from the mid 1920s until 1990. Reverend John J. Hughes founded the parish in June of 1920, during the episcopacy of Bishop William Russell. Father Hughes acquired the property and placed the rectory at the corner of King and Huger Streets with the church next to it on the corner of Huger and Benson Streets. The first church building had once been a Knights of Columbus hut at the Charleston Navy Yard. Father Hughes also erected a framed hall, which served as a parochial school, until 1930, when Bishop Walsh dedicated a new brick building for use as the school. The Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy (O.L.M.) operated it. In 1957, Bishop John Russell assigned Monsignor John L. Manning as the pastor of Sacred Heart Parish, a position he held until his death in 1976. Manning, also an educator, was involved with the Sacred Heart School Board and other operations of the school. Following his death, Eugene Condon served as pastor to Sacred Heart and also assumed responsibilities of the school operations. St. Patrick School closed in 1965, followed by Immaculate Conception School in 1971. In both instances, the students merged with Sacred Heart and Cathedral schools. By the 1973/1974 school year, the schools on the peninsula consolidated. The Cathedral School taught kindergarten through fourth grade, Sacred Heart taught fifth through eighth grade, and Bishop England High School taught ninth through twelfth grade. However, the following year the diocese restructured the schools and first through eighth grades again split between Sacred Heart and Cathedral. In 1990, due to financial concerns, Bishop David Thompson closed Sacred Heart School. In 1991, the Cathedral School followed. By the 1991/1992 school year, the diocese refurbished the school building formerly used by Sacred Heart School, and The Charleston Catholic School opened as the only parochial school on the peninsula.

Note written by


0.42 Linear Feet (1 document box)

Language of Materials



Administrative records of the Sacred Heart School in Charleston, South Carolina.

Custodial History

Materials were transferred to the archives from Sacred Heart on 01 September 2009 at the request of Father Dennis B. Willey.  The records were sorted and items belonging in the parish archive were given back to Father Willey for storage at Sacred Heart. Accession # 2011.002

Source of Acquisition

Received from Father Dennis B. Willey on September 1, 2009.

Method of Acquisition


Related Materials

Monsignor John L. Manning papers.

Processing Information

Processed by Melissa Bronheim, March 2015.

Inventory of the Sacred Heart School records
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note

Repository Details

Part of the Catholic Diocese of Charleston Archives Repository

114 Broad Street
Carriage House
Charleston SC 29401 US