Angela Basha papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains newspaper articles, photographs, publications, student memorabilia, and histories regarding Bishop England High School (BEHS) collected by Angela Basha, a former BEHS student and employee. Photographs are mostly class pictures; however some images are of Monsignor Joseph O'Brien, founder of BEHS. Other BEHS material includes publications and programs, a history, and articles on past students.
- Created: 1915-2002, undated
- Other: Majority of material found in 1915-1957
- Other: Date acquired: 07/14/2002
- Basha, Angela R. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The Diocese of Charleston makes no representation that it is the owner of any copyright or other literary property in the materials contained in its archives. In providing access to or permitting the reproduction of any such materials, the Diocese of Charleston does not assume any responsibility for determining the nature of any rights, ownership or interest therein; nor for obtaining the appropriate permissions to publish or use; nor for determining the nature of any liabilities (for defamation and invasion of privacy) that may arise from any publication or use. This rests entirely with the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Angela (Angie) Rowland Basha was born in Charleston, South Carolina, to T. Raymond Rowland and Martine Rowland, in 1936. She attended Bishop England High School and Palmer College. Basha co-authored Gracious Goodness: Christmas in Charleston and compiled and edited Celebrating the Past Embracing the Future: the 150th Anniversary Sesquicentennial of The Charleston Rifle Club 1855 - 2005. She also worked as the secretary to the BEHS endowment office.
Bishop England High School (BEHS), a Catholic high school, was founded in 1915 by Reverend Joseph O'Brien and Reverend J.J. May with the approval of Henry N. Northrop, Bishop of Charleston. The high school enrolled sixty-seven students in four grade levels; seventh, ninth, tenth, and eleventh with the first graduating class in 1917. Classes were conducted in the second floor Cathedral school on Queen Street and occupied six classrooms with a faculty comprised of three priests and three nuns. This arrangement was for only one year when Mrs. Thomas F. Ryan of New York, New York, donated property to the diocese. The high school transferred to a temporary building at 203 Calhoun Street, while funds donated by Catholics of Charleston were raised to construct a new high school building. On October 12, 1921, William T. Russell, fifth Bishop of Charleston laid the cornerstone of the new BEHS building. Joseph O'Brien served as BEHS rector for thirty-two years until 1947, when John L. Manning succeed him. O'Brien remained rector emeritus until his death in 1952.
Note written by
1.54 Linear Feet (1 oversize box)
Language of Materials
Newspaper articles, photographs, publications, student memorabilia, and histories regarding Bishop England High School.
1. Bishop England High School, 1915-2002 2. Other material, 1947-1999, undated
Accessioned by Zinnia Willits on 24 Feb. 2003
Source of Acquisition
Received from Angie Basha in July 2002.
Method of Acquisition
Bishop England High School yearbooks, 1927, 1929, 1940 Bishop England High School alumni directory, 1994
Processed by Jennifer E. Neal, September 2009; and Melissa Bronheim, April 2014.
- Bishop England High School (Charleston, S.C.)
- Books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Catholic schools -- United States -- History -- 20th Century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Magazines (periodicals) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Newsletters Subject Source: Lcnaf
- O'Brien, Joseph L. (Joseph Laurence), 1884-1952
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Inventory of the Angela Basha papers, 1915-2002, undated
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the Catholic Diocese of Charleston Archives Repository
114 Broad Street
Charleston SC 29401 US