Mary Giles postcard collection
Scope and Contents
This collection contains postcards depicting Catholic churches and buildings throughout South Carolina. Included are interior and exterior images of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Charleston, with a partial view of Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy convent on Legare Street; St. Peter's Catholic Church in Columbia; and Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church in Camden.
- Created: 1910-1989, undated
- Other: Date acquired: 05/12/2004
- Giles, Mary (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The Diocese of Charleston makes no representation that it is the owner of any copyright or other literary property in the materials contained in its archives. In providing access to or permitting the reproduction of any such materials, the Diocese of Charleston does not assume any responsibility for determining the nature of any rights, ownership or interest therein; nor for obtaining the appropriate permissions to publish or use; nor for determining the nature of any liabilities (for defamation and invasion of privacy) that may arise from any publication or use. This rests entirely with the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Mary Giles, archivist of the Catholic Diocese of Charleston (1999-2004), collected material relating to Catholicism in South Carolina.
Note written by
Language of Materials
Postcards depicting Catholic churches and buildings throughout South Carolina.
Source of Acquisition
Received from Mary Giles in May 2004.
Method of Acquisition
Processed by Melissa Bronheim, October 2012.
- Catholic church buildings -- South Carolina Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Charleston (S.C.) -- Buildings, structures, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Postcards Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Inventory of the Mary Giles postcard collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the Catholic Diocese of Charleston Archives Repository
114 Broad Street
Charleston SC 29401 US