Mary O'Neill papers
Scope and Contents
This collection includes newspaper clippings, programs, and other commemorative material regarding special events celebrated by the Diocese of Charleston. The material was collected by Mary Elizabeth O’Neill and consists of bishop installations and priests’ ordinations, as well as anniversaries, dedications, and jubilees.
- Created: 1927-1983
- Other: Date acquired: 02/10/2004
- O'Neill, Mary (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The Diocese of Charleston makes no representation that it is the owner of any copyright or other literary property in the materials contained in its archives. In providing access to or permitting the reproduction of any such materials, the Diocese of Charleston does not assume any responsibility for determining the nature of any rights, ownership or interest therein; nor for obtaining the appropriate permissions to publish or use; nor for determining the nature of any liabilities (for defamation and invasion of privacy) that may arise from any publication or use. This rests entirely with the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Mary Elizabeth O’Neill, a Roman Catholic from Charleston, South Carolina, was born in 1927 to Aloysius Moultrie O’Neill and Mary Almena Riley O’Neill. She attended Bishop England High School and graduated in 1944. O’Neill was a parishioner of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist.
Aloysius O’Neill, Mary’s father, was godfather to Lawrence Sheedy, a Catholic priest for the Diocese of Charleston. He was also a member of the Knights of Columbus.
Note written by
0.20 Linear Feet (5 folders)
Language of Materials
Newspaper clippings, programs, and other commemorative material regarding special events celebrated by the Diocese of Charleston.
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition
Processed by Melissa Bronheim, October 2012.
- Bishop England High School (Charleston, S.C.)
- Cathedral of St. John the Baptist (Charleston, S.C.)
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Installation (Clergy) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Knights of Columbus
- Priesthood -- Catholic Church Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Priests -- South Carolina Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Programs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Inventory of the Mary O'Neill papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the Catholic Diocese of Charleston Archives Repository
114 Broad Street
Charleston SC 29401 US