South Carolina Council of Catholic Women records
Scope and Contents
The South Carolina Council of Catholic Women (SCCCW) records consists of original and some photocopied administrative records, correspondence, conference materials, photographs, scrapbooks, newsletters, news clippings, and other papers produced by various members of the South Carolina Council of Catholic Women from the 1930s to 2013. The administrative records in the collection feature meeting minutes, board member reports, committee reports, procedure manuals, bylaws, membership directories, and other papers representing the organizational activities. Correspondence includes letters from clergy and community leaders, as well as from various members of the SCCCW. The collection also features papers from the affiliated deanery and parish club members of the SCCCW. These papers include deanery administrative records, correspondence, and some publications. Conference materials include annual convention programs, Catholic Woman of the Year nominations and awards, Living Memorials programs, and other activities associated with the group’s annual convention. Scrapbooks, news clippings, and photographs prepared by SCCCW members are also present in the collection.
- Created: 1928-2013
- Other: Date acquired: 04/11/2007
- South Carolina Council of Catholic Women (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The Diocese of Charleston makes no representation that it is the owner of any copyright or other literary property in the materials contained in its archives. In providing access to or permitting the reproduction of any such materials, the Diocese of Charleston does not assume any responsibility for determining the nature of any rights, ownership or interest therein; nor for obtaining the appropriate permissions to publish or use; nor for determining the nature of any liabilities (for defamation and invasion of privacy) that may arise from any publication or use. This rests entirely with the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
The South Carolina Council of Catholic Women (SCCCW) is an organization of deaneries, affiliate parish clubs, and individual Catholic women from across the Diocese of Charleston. They work together to serve and promote the Roman Catholic Church and to give back to communities across South Carolina through charitable programs. The mission of the SCCCW is to serve as a medium through which the Catholic women of the Diocese of Charleston may speak and act as one unit. It is an affiliate of both the Atlanta Province and the National Council of Catholic Women (NCCW). The council has special committees, including Church, Community Concerns, Family Concerns, International Concerns, Legislation, and Organization committees, that comprise a Commission System. This Commission System works to extend the mission and programs of the NCCW in local communities throughout South Carolina. These committees are represented by the Board of Directors and at the deanery and affiliate club levels.
Though local Catholic women’s organizations had existed for some years throughout South Carolina, it was not until December 1930 that the idea of uniting these groups to become a true affiliate of the National Council of Catholic Women was promoted by Emmett M. Walsh, the sixth bishop of Charleston. In January of 1931, a constitution was adopted, and the first annual convention of the statewide council was held in April of that same year in Charleston. Originally called the Charleston Diocesan Council of Catholic Women, the group hosted the twelfth annual convention of the National Council of Catholic Women in October of 1932, marking the first time the NCCW held a convention south of Washington D.C. Over the years, membership grew as more affiliate parish clubs joined the council as part of one of five deaneries. These include the Coastal, Columbia-Midlands, Lowcountry, Pee Dee, and Piedmont deaneries. As member organizations grew throughout the state, John J. Russell, the seventh bishop of Charleston, felt it was important to establish a spiritual moderator for the council. In 1951, he appointed Reverend Richard C. Madden as the first official moderator of the council. In 1979, Mrs. Helen Merritt was elected vice president of the NCCW, making her the first SCCCW member to become a board member of the National Council. The SCCCW holds an annual convention, hosted by one of the five deaneries, where members connect and participate in programs that further the mission of the SCCCW and NCCCW, which is to empower and educate all Catholic women in spirituality, leadership, and service by responding to the needs of the Roman Catholic Church and society.
Note written by
7.50 Linear Feet (13 document boxes, 1 slim box, 2 oversize boxes)
Language of Materials
The SCCCW records collection contains administrative and organizational records, correspondence, conference materials, photographs, scrapbooks, newsletters, news clippings, and other papers produced by various members of the South Carolina Council of Catholic Women from the 1930s to 2013.
1. Administrative and organizational records, 1957-2012, undated 2. Associated organizations, 1967, 1981-2012, undated 3. Deanery councils, 1938-2010, undated 4. Conferences, 1931-2013 5. Memorabilia, 1928-2011, undated
Physical Access Requirements
Some material is fragile or damaged. As a preservation measure, researchers must view the photocopied scrapbook in this collection, rather than the original.
Source of Acquisition
Received from Mary Sue Barnum in April 2007; Gregory Wilson in February 2009; Cecilia Velte in September 2013.
Method of Acquisition
Accruals and Additions
Additional material expected.
Processed by Molly Inabinett in December 2013.
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Associations, institutions, etc. -- South Carolina Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Catholic Church -- Bishops -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Catholic Church -- Clergy -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Catholic Church -- Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Catholic women -- South Carolina Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Church committees Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Manuals (instructional material) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- National Council of Catholic Women (U.S.)
- Newsletters Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Programs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Women in charitable work -- South Carolina Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Inventory of the South Carolina Council of Catholic Women records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the Catholic Diocese of Charleston Archives Repository
114 Broad Street
Charleston SC 29401 US