Presbyteral Council records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains administrative records created by the Presbyteral Council of the Diocese of Charleston. Material includes constitutions, meeting agendas, meeting minutes, and correspondence. Topics include priest personnel board concerns, with a detailed survey of priests’ levels of satisfaction; parish boundaries; and project proposals such as Rachel’s Project, a service offering post-abortion counseling.
- Created: 1984-2018
- Senates of priests (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Access is restricted; consult repository for details.
Conditions Governing Use
The Diocese of Charleston makes no representation that it is the owner of any copyright or other literary property in the materials contained in its archives. In providing access to or permitting the reproduction of any such materials, the Diocese of Charleston does not assume any responsibility for determining the nature of any rights, ownership or interest therein; nor for obtaining the appropriate permissions to publish or use; nor for determining the nature of any liabilities (for defamation and invasion of privacy) that may arise from any publication or use. This rests entirely with the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
The Presbyteral Council of the Diocese of Charleston was formed in 1984 and was designed to assist the bishop in governance of the diocese. The council consists of 16-20 members, depending on the number of deaneries in the diocese, who have been elected as representative from their deanery. Members are also appointed by the bishop. The council meets four times per year at a forum to discuss any issues or concerns of the diocese.
Note written by
1.25 Linear Feet (3 document boxes)
Language of Materials
Administrative records for the Presbyteral Council of the Diocese of Charleston.
Source of Acquisition
Received from the Presbyteral Council.
Accruals and Additions
Additional materials expected.
Processed by Melissa Bronheim, September 2011
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Catholic Church -- Clergy -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Church committees Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Councils and synods, Diocesan -- South Carolina Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Parish councils Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Senates of priests -- South Carolina Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Inventory of the Presbyteral Council records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the Catholic Diocese of Charleston Archives Repository
114 Broad Street
Charleston SC 29401 US